How to Obtain a Protective Order Against an Abusive Family Member

If you are being abused by your partner or family member, it is important to know how to get a Protective Order against them. These court orders are designed to prevent future abuse, as well as stop the perpetrator from making any further threats of violence or harassing you.

A Protective Order can also prevent them from coming into contact with your children. It can also prohibit them from using or possessing firearms.

A protection order is not for everyone, but it can be a powerful tool to help keep you and your loved ones safe. It can prevent your partner or family member from abusing you and your children, as well as keeping them from making any further threats of physical violence.

You can obtain a PFA in many different ways, including if there is a criminal charge filed against your abuser or you are involved in a divorce, child custody or other domestic relations case.

To begin, you should talk to a counselor who is experienced in helping people with abusive relationships. These professionals can give you support and guidance as you work through the process of filing for an order of protection. They can also help you find resources in your community that will assist you during this difficult time.

The next step is to complete a petition and submit it to the court. You will need to provide information about your abuser, including their photo, current address, phone numbers, license plate number and any evidence they have of violence, drug use or gun ownership.

Once the judge has reviewed your application, they will issue a temporary order of protection. The order lasts until you have a hearing in court or the judge dismisses the case.

After a hearing, the judge can either issue a permanent or long-term protective order. The judge will take into account the evidence you and your partner present at the hearing, as well as any facts you may present to prove your case.

You should serve the defendant with a copy of your petition and temporary protective order, when applicable, in person or by mail at least once, even if they live far away. This step is very important, so make sure you do it right the first time.

If you do not receive a court order after serving the defendant, it is your responsibility to file an appeal with the court as soon as possible. You can do this by contacting the court clerk’s office.

Once you have an order, it is your responsibility to follow through with all the steps in the order. If you fail to do so, you will be in violation of the court order and could face serious consequences.

The law is very clear that you have to act quickly if you want to ensure the safety of your loved ones and yourself. The sooner you get a protective order, the sooner the abuse can stop. If you need the help of a reputable domestic violence attorney in Miami visit Davis and Associates, Attorneys at Law, LLC.